Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Tomorrow is the day that I will always remember. A sad day...my father died that cold winter morning. 
I remember waking up about three in the morning. It was snowing... I couldn't go back to sleep so I got up and dressed and went for a walk. 
There is nothing more peaceful than walking in snowfall at night. All I could hear was the crunching of snow beneath my boots. Despite the cold, I wasn't cold at all. 
Somehow I knew my father was gone. I walked for hours, just absorbing the quiet and talking with God. Never before had I felt such peace. I watched the sun rise over the newly fallen snow. We received the phone call that my father had died. I was okay. No tears, just sorrow.
My dad has been gone twenty-one years tomorrow. Like any other daughter who has lost their dad, I miss him. I miss his dry sense of humor and his love of classical music which he passed on to me. My dad was not a Christian...he chose not to accept the gift of salvation...he told me it was his choice. 

I miss that morning of walking in the snow. The peace I had walking in the quiet, in the darkness, in the light of the snow glistening by the moon. I miss my dad and that he chose not accept peace, love, and salvation. 

As we draw closer to the day of celebrating the birth of our Savior...take time to share the greatest gift of all with your loved ones so you won't have to say..."I'll miss them forever". His gift to us is the greatest gift of all...share it. I have....it just hasn't been accepted. Don't give up...there is always hope; there is always love; there is always peace.

1 comment:

  1. So true Sandi that the greatest gift is God's Son to share this Christmas. I am blessed to call you friend.

    ReplyDelete